Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Achieving Dietary Balance - Part 2

Click Here to read the 1st Part - Achieving Dietary Balance.

Continuing Further....


Celebrities face similar challenges of alienation to 'normal' food. One actor complained about his mom's food - cooked in oil and spices, without realising that he was brought up on that! We are all gradually losing our capacity to consume such foods. One Senior PR executive says, "I have never visited a dietician but from what I heard and read on the Web, I started dieting on my own. I got very cautious of what I ate. I stopped taking sugar completely and used to skip dinners after 6pm and had one fruit for breakfast. I fainted one day and realised I had a low BP problem. I still suffer from severe gastritis. My face started getting pale and I'm highly prone to infections."A typical orthorexic at dinner at a social gathering would usually place her order thus : 'Can this be cooked in olive oil with less spices and no cheese please?' And that is not it. Despite all the efforts gone into placing the order, she can't eat it peacefully because of anxiety. Agrees one writer, "Every time my husband or friends plan a dinner; I stress about the food we will eat and the venue.' She insists her diet pattern is not to lose weight but to ensure that only pure food enters her body. Hence, orthorexics tend to give social gatherings amiss. Another nutritionist states, "Such people miss out on companionship. Extreme cases can lead themselves to social exclusion, and higher stress levels.

Many nutritionists say a pizza can be a healthy eating option, provided it has vegetable toppings. Excluding its maida base, a pizza has vegetables that make it rich in vitamins and minerals. Alsom the cheese is high in fat but high in protein as well.It's important to expose your body to different kinds of foods as it helps adjust immunity. Adds a doctor from Mumbai, "Enjoying your meal gives you a high and keeps you motivated. Stressing over food intake can lead to acidity, low absorption of essential vitamins and minerals. Those who cut down on sugar may have to deal with their blood sugar levels dropping dangerously. It also leads to scaly skin.

"We are living in a time where we are bombarded by conflicting research. The best fix is to have a combination of all foods. "If you find something unhealthy, like refined oil, make your own pack of combination oils (mix refined oil, mustard oil, olice oil).

Start knowing your body instead of blindly following diets. Consume sources of Vitamin C to increase immunity and exercise regularly," suggests Dr.Shah.

Eat a bit unhealthy' and find that its not a big deal after all, concludes Dr. Hingorani.



Source : Times News Network

No comments: